I don't know about you but when you live in Texas you've likely had tortillas as a taco, burrito, or quesadilla.
Tortillas are the perfect accompaniment for any dish. They can be eaten with eggs to make the perfect breakfast burrito, tasty with melted butter for the perfect snack, and delicious to have as a taco topped with protein and fresh vegetables. I even like them with honey although Alex doesn't approve of them eaten that way!
In my home, we always have a supply of tortillas. My family loves them so much that I learned a homemade recipe from my mother-in-law and then personalized it to make it mine. All you need are the basic ingredients of flour, salt, oil, and water. I use 3 types of flour but if you prefer to have white tortilla, you can use only the all-purpose flour. For wheat tortilla, you can use four cups all-purpose flour and two cups whole wheat flour.
I'm always guilty of having them with honey (proof is in the pictures)! This is a healthy and easy to make recipe. If you make them, leave a comment and let me know how they turned out!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1. 5 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups water (lukewarm)
Makes about two dozen tortillas
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add oil to mixture.
- Gradually add in water and knead until consistency forms a soft dough
- Let dough rest for 5 mins.
- Cut dough and roll into small balls and cover with cloth to keep moist.
- When ready to make, use rolling pin to flatten tortilla into a round shape.
- Put on hot griddle for 1-2 mins on each side.
- Wrap tortilla in a cloth to keep warm. Serve when ready.
My guilty little secret; having tortillas with honey! They really ARE YUMMY!
Okay, I don't always have honey with my tortillas. Here is proof of how you can dress them up with about anything!
If you like this post, subscribe to my website.